Monday, August 10, 2009

Finding inspiration...

As many of you may know, handling transition is not a skill at which I excel.  I tend to cry (a lot), meditate on the details, and make lists. On the other hand, Aaron suavely embraces it with open arms, goes with the flow, and tends to worry more about if there will be coffee, cheese, and climbing walls at hand than anything else.  Needless to say, I'm glad we're making this transition together.  :)

While going through my countless books, papers, and relics of the past 24 years of my life, I stumbled upon this poem.  It is extremely appropriate for our transition ahead, and I have been reading it continuously as a means of inspiration.  I thought I would share it in hopes that a part of it may connect to your life.

For a New Beginning

In out-of-the way places of the heart,
Where your thoughts never think to wander,
This beginning has been quietly forming,
Waiting until you were ready to emerge.

For a long time it has watched your desire,
Feeling the emptiness growing inside you,
Noticing how you willed yourself on,
Still unable to leave what you had outgrown.

It watched you play with the deduction of safety, 
And the gray promises that sameness whispered,
Heard the waves of turmoil rise and relent,
Wondered would you always live like this.

Then, the delight when your courage kindled,
And out you stepped onto new ground,
Your eyes young again with energy and dream,
A path of plenitude opening before you.

Though your destination is not yet clear
You can trust the promise of this opening;
Unfurl yourself into the grace of beginning
That is at one with your life's desire.

Awaken your spirit to adventure;
Hold nothing back, learn to find ease in risk;
Soon you will be home to a new rhythm,
For your soul senses the world that awaits you.

-From To Bless the Space Between Us by John O'Donohue

-Callie

3 comments:

  1. My gut is to get really really small so that I can tuck into your baggage/back pack and find some new rhythm myself in another place! I love the poem and Callie you know that I love you and your family. I'll be cheering you on and reading your posts often. Fear God in everything you do and know that your hearts will guide you to make decisions that you can be proud of and share openly with anyone. Take care of Callie Aaron...guard her heart in everything you do. Love to you both :)

    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  2. well he sure likes his coffee, we'll give you that...:) Neil and Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys are really close to Japan. Is there a ferry?

    ReplyDelete