Thursday, December 24, 2009

즐거운 크리쓰마쓰 (Joyful Christmas!)

Quirky Korea: Purchase of the month--a blanket with our Special K! J

Last Saturday Aaron and I held a Christmas party at our apartment. We had 18 friends and teachers nestled in our apartment with homemade sangria, mulled wine, and cookie decorating. It’s always a treat when we have food that reminds us of home and this party was a true treat. People brought anything from twice baked potatoes, meatballs, shrimp, deviled eggs, salsa, and even a homemade cheeseball! It was a good time! We also had a white elephant gift exchange. Aaron ended up with a pair of Obama socks, a bowl made out of gourd (which looks more like a "nut" cup but is pretty cool), and a book titled Shopoholic and Baby (he’s just biting at the bit to read it). I actually ended up with 5 beers...GOOD imported beers which is a rare/expensive find in Korea. You could tell that many of us were from the mid-west as Campbell’s Cream of Mushroom soup was a hot commodity during the exchange! We feel lucky to have great friends and colleagues!

Today was my last day at school for the official school year. I can’t express enough gratitude for my fellow teachers and students. Their incessant kindness has made me feel more than welcome. Today I had students wishing me a Merry Christmas and giving me Christmas cards although they do not celebrate it themselves. I would like to share one such card from one of my students to give you an idea. It had me smiling for the rest of the day:

Hello Kelly teacher~

I’m Lee Seung-yeon. 12.25 is happy Christmas! This year is funny because we made English newspaper so I’m proud of my newspaper and Kelly teacher come to daechonli middle school ^.^ My friends said, “Kelly teacher looks like Emma Watson.” “Kelly teacher is very cute!” Hahahahaha ^^ But I think that Kelly teacher is very kind and funny ^.^ And you teach christmas song. The song is very wonderful! So sometimes I sing a song. Thank you Kelly teacher and Merry Christmas!

Aaron and I are watching some Christmas films tonight with friends, hot chocolate, and homemade popcorn (saturated in butter of course). On Christmas we’ll make homemade cinnamon rolls, open gifts, and then head to a friends for a potluck and music. It’s difficult to think of family and friends back home, but, ironically, the distance seems to make them feel closer than ever.

Merry Christmas to all near and far!

-Callie

No comments:

Post a Comment