Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Chilled to the bone

It's that time of year again when it's frigid outside AND in.  It's 27 degrees (F) today, not freezing cold by Midwest standards, but cold enough to shut the windows in our houses, work places, and cars. But, as I sit in the teachers' room or wander into the hallway, bathroom, and classrooms, I find that the windows are open everywhere.  This is one part of Korean culture I will never never EVER understand.  And yes, I'm going to take this chance to complain because I can't exactly complain to anyone here at school.


On one hand, I know they are conserving energy by not heating the school hallways, bathrooms (yes, that cold air gives you a little thrill when you squat), and cafeteria.  But, when I finally get myself into a supposedly warmer room, I find the windows wide open.  I've been told it's for ventilation purposes, but I would rather be warm than taking breaths of cold, "fresh" air. I'm all for conserving energy, lowering the thermostat, wearing more clothing, but isn't it counterintuitive when you open the windows and have the heat on?  I could wear the same outfit to school everyday because no one sees my clothes as I'm bundled up in a scarf and coat everyday.  I'm actually astounded as to how many expensive coats my teachers sport everyday.  They are clearly used to this idea of being cold all of the time and have turned it into a new way to make a fashion statement.  


But although people seem used to this always being cold, they don't hold back from complaining.  I can tell the students are freezing in their classrooms and the teachers are clearly just as cold. I can't imagine a somewhat warm room with continual freezing gusts of wind rushing into the classroom is an environment conducive to learning.


However, I will stop my rant to rave about the floor heating we have in our apartment.  It's truly one of my favorite parts of Korea.  After school, I thaw out my arms and legs and lay on the warm floor, with the doors and windows closed of course.  It's one of my favorite moments of the day.  

No comments:

Post a Comment