Saturday, August 30, 2014

A Typical Day at School


Let me take you through a typical school day.  First, Aaron and I wake up around 5am each morning.  Since he recently purchased a mountain bike, he has been leaving around 6a.m. to ride 25 minutes up to school (I say up because it is literally up the mountain the entire way).  I catch the "teacher bus" a block away from our apartment around 6:20a.m. Classes don't begin until 7:30a.m. so most of the time before classes begin is spent talking with other teachers over coffee or prepping for the day.

The school is on an 8 period cycle (Period A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H) but we only have 5 periods per day, and each teacher has only 5 classes out of the 8 periods (for example, I only teach A, B, E, F, and H).  This means we don't see the same classes at the same time each day.  It's taking a bit of getting used to, but I actually am finding that I love how I don't have the same class during the last hour of every day.  It keeps me and the students on our toes.  On average we teach 3 - 70 minute classes per day.  That means we get 2 - 70 minute prep times, a 30 minute morning break time (that all teachers and students get everyday), and a 40 minute lunch!  I honestly can't even explain how amazing this schedule is.  I actually have time to breathe, grade some papers, and plan AT SCHOOL!  Also, my largest class is 19 students.  This school really abides by the philosophy that if they treat the teachers well, the students will learn more.  And also, if they give students the appropriate amount of free time, they will be more ready to learn.

Yesterday proved this point.  I was teaching my English 10 Honors class and they were doing some writing in class.  ALL of them, I repeat, ALL of them were doing what they were supposed to.  Therefore, I was able to go around and conference with many of the students about their writing.  We were able to really dig deep into their thinking and structure of their writing.  It honestly was a dream come true.  Now, kids are still kids, it still is the "honeymoon" stage of the school year, and I'm not saying that all of my students are sitting on the edge of their seats anticipating the next profound statement to come out of my mouth, but overall they are extremely polite, thank me when I give them handouts, greet me as they come in the classroom, and have no inhibitions to e-mail or contact me outside of school with questions.  It's an environment extremely conducive to learning.  

I also must comment on the contagious positive energy that permeates the school.  From the administrators to the teachers to the secretaries, there is an aura of optimism that is so refreshing.  Part of this seems to be cultural as Colombians truly are very happy-go-lucky people.  But it is also something the school has clearly worked hard to build.  I feel honored to be surrounded by my fellow teachers and have SO much to learn from them.

The school day ends at 2:30p.m. but 3 days out of the week teachers have reinforcement time for an hour after school.  This means students are encouraged to come and get help with assignments.  Then, at 3:30p.m. the teacher bus leaves for the day.

Aaron and I have been spending most of our time out of school planning and grading as is expected in the beginning of the year.  However, I've joined a soccer team that will play on Thursday nights and Aaron is going to be in a mountain bike race coming up in mid-September.  We also will start Spanish classes soon!  Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment