Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Teachers and Students and Spiders...Oh my!

There are a lot of reasons why I love working at the same school as Aaron.  We get to have the same schedule, share coffee together in the morning and lunch together in the afternoon, sneak into each other's rooms during prep just to say hi, and empathize with each other when one of us needs to vent.  However, I gained a whole new appreciation for working at the same school as my husband a little over a week ago.

You see, my classroom is totally open.  This means it is vulnerable to all the elements: wind, rain, chilly air (I feel like I can't say cold because my "cold" is like MAYBE 60 degrees), and creatures.  Most of the time it's simply the teeny ants that decide to march in a perfect line to a crumb on the floor.  However, sometimes it's something bigger...like a spider. 

It was five minutes until my class was going to begin.  I had gone to make some copies and came back to my room to see a large, lanky yet beefy spider scurrying under my students' desks.  I immediately turned around, went straight to the bathroom, and proceeded to do my business thinking that I would simply go back to my room and it would be gone.  Well, upon my return, it had made it's way across the room and was taunting me under my desk.  Now, I love the outdoors and don't mind most insects, but this spider was the biggest one I'd seen in Colombia and one of the biggest I've seen in my life (aside from tarantulas).  I decided to run to my 10th grade colleague to see if he could help me wrangle this thing out of my room.  He came in, took one look, and gingerly backed away.  "Crap!  Students are going to be here soon!" I panicked, knowing that this would cause my students to have an exponential freak out that would certainly stall the beginning of class!  So, I knew Aaron was on prep and decided to sprint over to the science center and ask him to save the day.  Sure enough, my prince charming aka science teacher extraordinaire arrived with garbage can in toe.  You see, in true science teacher form, he wasn't just planning on removing it from my classroom--he was determined to keep it as a pet!  After a few tries, he managed to get the spider in the garbage can and immediately ran down the hall back to his classroom before the spider could get away. 

Aaron's new classroom pet!

The spider's habitat in Aaron's classroom.
 When my class was over, I went to Aaron's room.  He and some students had already found a glass aquarium, created a habitat for the guy, designed a breathable roof, and narrowed it down to three species (all poisonous--one flesh eating--eeek!).  Turns out you can only really tell a spider's species from looking at its reproductive organs under a microscope. 

Ultimately, he wanted to show his students how these types of creatures are common place at our school.  I just hope they aren't common place in MY classroom anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment