Sunday, November 27, 2016

Gracias Colombia

Holidays are tough when you're abroad.   I miss being with family and friends the most during this time of year, so it's important to remind myself of how special our life is here. In light of the Thanksgiving season, I decided to make a list of the things I'm thankful for while living in Colombia.  There's a lot to be thankful for. Here's the list in no particular order:

1. Mountain views while biking to work.
View of the Farallones on my Friday bike ride to work. 

2. Having a classroom that essentially allows me to work outside all day!  I've had cats, birds, spiders, and squirrels wandering my room. One day I even found an owl perched on my desk!  I'm not sure I could ever go back to having a classroom with walls.



 3. Views like this to hike to on the weekends.



4. This adorable and terribly spoiled cat.





5. Shopping beers.  Most grocery stores have coolers full of individual beers scattered around the store so people can enjoy a beer while shopping.  It sure makes shopping more fun. 



6. Fresh FRUITS and VEGETABLES for CHEAP!

We got all of this for less than $5. Look at all those limes!
 7. COOL BUGS!

Found this guy on a tree in our apartment! 

Transparent butterflies! 

8. Learning salsa! Although we've got a lot of room for improvement, we are to the point that if ANY music comes on, our hips immediately scream "salsa!"



9. Fritanga everywhere!!!  AKA Fried food!  Empanadas, papa rellena, patacones, yuca frita...our health doesn't thank us but our stomachs do!

Aaron getting some empanadas for a pre-climbing breakfast! 

10. Ciclovida!  Every Sunday they block off streets from 8am-1pm for walkers, runners, rollerbladers, and cyclists.  There are vendors along the way selling fresh juices and large vats of sancocho de gallina (a chicken soup unique to this region of Colombia) cooking over street fires. Perhaps the best part are the rumba (dancing) stations along the way where people young, old, male, and female literally bring David Bowie and Mick Jagger's lyrics alive:

It doesn't matter what you wear,
Just as long as you are there
So come on, every guy, grab a girl,
Everywhere, around the world
They'll be dancing, dancing in the street 

Stopped for a fresh zanahoria-mandarina (carrot and mandarine orange) juice along our bike ride! 

No comments:

Post a Comment