Sunday, October 1, 2017

Happy 5 Years!

I stood in the mirror holding a glass of wine and a cup of coffee.  It was Friday after all and our usual bedtime is 7:30pm (right, teachers?). But tonight was our 5 year wedding anniversary, and I was told to prepare for a night out.

For those of you who know me, I absolutely LOVE surprises but almost always find them out.  What can I say? My inner planner and strong intuition are overpowering at times.  As a result, Aaron has never truly surprised me.  Seriously. I have always had some sort of inkling, but this time was different!

We left exactly at 7:00pm to grab a cab. But instead of turning right to the porterria, Aaron mentioned that Usma, our porterro, had shown him something up by our pool that I had to see.  It was raining, so I was a bit suspicious...


As we walked up the steps to the common area of our apartment complex, I heard a group of our friends scream, "Surprise!" I was a bit confused.  And then Aaron introduced to me to Wilbur, our new salsa instructor!  He was here to give all of us a salsa dancing lesson.  And, Wilbur will be coming to our house to give us private salsa lessons for the next 3 months! I was SO excited.

We had a blast dancing and giggling (okay, much more giggling). When the instructor scolded us for tight hips, all I could do was curse my white Lutheran heritage!  But by the end of the two hours, we were feeling a bit looser and more confident.


This is our 5 year wedding anniversary and celebration of 10 years together.  That's a long time!  Almost a 1/3 of our lifetimes! Dancing is a lot like loving.  Sometimes you're right in rhythm and other times you struggle to find the right beat. Sometimes your shoes glide over the floor while other times you trip over each other's feet. Forwards, backwards, sideways...always moving. In dancing, and in love, the most important thing is to keep on improving.

Here's to 10 more years dancing, loving, and improving together! 

2 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary, you two! How special! Cal, I loved your analogy of dancing to loving...absolutely perfect and so beautiful. Hope you two are well! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Al! I've loved keeping up with your love adventure as well. :) Congrats to you both!

      Delete