Thursday, October 7, 2010

Cabbage Crisis!

I never thought I would be so affected by a cabbage shortage!!  But to my dismay, there is a cabbage crisis sweeping the nation of South Korea.  It has even become international news!  You can read the NPR article here.  As a result, we do not have cabbage kimchi at school lunch nor do we get free refills of kimchi at restaurants.  To me, this is as unKorean as it gets.  Now you may sense a bit of a sarcasm in my typing and yes, I do have some towards the subject.  But for many Koreans this is a serious thing.  It is part of their livelihood and what defines them as a culture.  Some even believe it cures many things.  I suppose you could compare it to a lettuce or potato shortage in America...but not even because in America we don't eat lettuce for literally breakfast, lunch, AND dinner or think that they can cure/prevent diseases. 


I know this may be a stretch, but all sarcasm aside, this kind of event makes me think about how more of this kind of stuff could happen in the future. Not only food shortages, but natural resource shortages due to our changing climate and overuse/abuse.  Maybe not in our near future, but certainly in our future.  I suppose it goes to show we should never take anything (not even a red chili paste and fish oil covered piece of fermented cabbage) for granted. 



No comments:

Post a Comment