Wednesday, March 9, 2011

"We really need to rethink our definition of success."

A friend of mine posted this video from PBS Frontline, and I'd like to pass it on. It gives a bit more insight into the Korean education system and how Koreans feel it's more than just the education system that needs to be reformed.  Korea needs to reexamine its definition of success. 

Aaron and I have had many discussions with older Koreans about this. The longer they aim at their current definition of success, the more of their traditional culture they will lose. Older Koreans wonder who will make the kimchi when they die as making kimchi or cooking in a restaurant is not considered "successful" or "cool" in this culture anymore.  Who will gather the mugwort on the side of the street to make rice cakes which are such a traditional food? Who will farm and live in the small country towns? Who will fix the Hyundai and Daewoos?  Who will drive buses, taxis, and subways?  Who will own norebangs and do traditional singing? Until they can redefine what success is, I'm afraid that Korea will lose a lot of what we, the older generations, and younger generations (although they may not know it yet) love about this country (and I certainly see this in America too, just not as prominently as here.)

I guess I feel as a teacher that I need to help spread this new definition of success.  In my classroom, I encourage students to be whatever they want.  Most of my students get so much pressure from home telling them they must be doctors, lawyers, CEOs etc. "Teacher, I want to make money!"  "Teacher, I want to go to Harvard so I make lots of money."  Even the students who I see excel in art or music feel like those areas are not "good enough" to go into. I also act disappointed when they tell me all they did on vacation was go to hagwon (their private schools) and study. They just don't realize there is so much more to childhood! 

On a somewhat similar note, this week I've been introducing my classroom rules to my new first grade middle school students.  As part of my introduction, I show a video of Jose Conseco's "home run" when he goes to catch the ball and it bounces off his head scoring a home run for the Indians.  I explain how even professional baseball players make mistakes! So my third and final rule is something I feel these kids need to hear more than anything: "Do not be scared to make a mistake.  No one is perfect."  

All a gal can do is try.

No comments:

Post a Comment