Saturday, July 16, 2011

The Last Lunches

I love Korean school lunch.  It's one of the things I will miss most about teaching here. Everything is fresh, homemade, and nutritious. Even the way they compost their food waste here thrills me.   Therefore, I thought I'd share my last lunches.


Monday: Seasoned, boiled pork with cucumbers and peppers (you wrap all this in lettuce leaves), rice, and fermented soybean/tofu soup

Tuesday: Tongsuyook (sweet and sour chicken), garlic stems in a savory sauce (SO DELICIOUS), wilted spinach with some sesame seeds, rice, kimchi, and a vegetable soup

Wednesday: Boiled fish with potatoes and radishes (eyes, bones and all), cucumbers, rice, and kimchi jiggae (kimchi soup with some sliced pork and rice dumplings)

Thursday: Sweet and sour salad, mook (acorn jelly), sesame leaves in a fermented soybean sauce, rice, and samgaetang (Korea's version of chicken soup consisting of boiled chicken in broth and some herbs and spices)

Clean-up

No comments:

Post a Comment